|Division||Social Sciences Division|
|Affiliations||Humanities Division, |
Feminist Studies Department,
East Asian Studies
|Web Site|| Center for Global International & Regional Studies|
Institute for the Future Advisory Council
|Office||335 Social Sciences 1|
|Office Hours||Wednesday 1:30pm-3pm & By Appointment|
|Campus Mail Stop||Social Sciences 1 Faculty Services|
Research InterestsTeaching Specialties: Medical anthropology, visual anthropology, food and culture.
Area of Research: food and medicine, Chinese biotechnology, mental health and cross-cultural psychiatry, traditional and alternative healing practices, Asian-American identity.
Area of Fieldwork: China
Biography, Education and TrainingPh.D. Medical Anthropology, UC Berkeley and San Francisco
M.A. Anthropology, UC Berkeley
B.A. Stanford University, Human Biology and Humanities Honors
- Asian Biotech: Ethics and Communities of Fate, Aihwa Ong and Nancy N. Chen, eds. Duke University Press 2010.
- Food, Medicine, and the Quest for Good Health, Columbia University Press, 2009.
- Bodies in the Making, Nancy N. Chen and Helene Moglen, Ed. New Pacific Press, 2006.
- Breathing Spaces: Qigong, Psychiatry and Healing in China, Columbia University Press, 2003.
- China Urban: Ethnographies of Contemporary Culture, Nancy N. Chen, Constance Clark, Suzanne Gottschang, Lyn Jeffery, Ed. Duke University Press, 2001.
Selected RecordingsFood as Medicine: Cuisine, Curatives, and Culture
Courses TaughtANTH-208A- Ethnographic Practice
ANTH-194M- Advanced Topics in Medical Anthropology
ANTH-130C- Culture and Politics of China
ANTH-130G - Asian Americans in Ethnography and Film
ANTH-134- Intro to Medical Anthropology
ANTH-110K- Culture Through Food
ANTH-110J- Intro to Visual Culture