|Affiliations||East Asian Studies, |
Feminist Studies Department
|Phone||831-459-3710 (office), |
|Office||332 Humanities 1|
|Office Hours||Winter 2015: TBA|
|Campus Mail Stop||Humanities Academic Services|
|1156 High Street|
Santa Cruz, CA
Gender, sexuality, and ethnicity in modern Chinese history; comparative labor history; Chicana history; nationalism and sexuality in the Third World; oral history
Biography, Education and Training
Ph.D., History Stanford University
- "Socialist Sex: The Cultural Revolution Revisited," in Modern China, 29.2, April 2003:153-75.
- "Maoist Mappings of Gender: Reassessing the Red Guards," in Chinese Femininities/Chinese Masculinities, editors Susan Brownell and Jeffrey N. Wasserstrom, Berkeley: University of California Press, 2002.
- "Iron Girls Revisited: Gender and the Politics of Work in the Cultural Revolution," in Barbara Gutwisle and Gail Henderson, eds., Re-Drawing the Boundaries of Work, Households, and Gender, Berkeley: University of California Press, 2000.
- Creating Chinese Ethnicity: Subei People in Shanghai, 1850-1980, New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1992.
- Personal Voices: Chinese Women in the 1980's, with Gail Hershatter, Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1988.
- Sisters and Strangers: Women in the Shanghai Cotton Mills, 1919-1949, Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1986.