Alan S Christy
|Title||Associate Professor, |
East Asian Studies Director,
Co-Director, Center for the Study of Pacific War Memories
|Affiliations||East Asian Studies|
|Phone||831-459-5564 (office), |
|Web Site||Center for the Study of Pacific War Memories|
|Office||535 Humanities 1|
|Office Hours||Fall 2014: Fri. 9:30 am - 11:30 am|
|Campus Mail Stop||Humanities Academic Services|
|1156 High Street|
Santa Cruz, CA
Research InterestsEarly modern Japan, modern Japan; history of social sciences, colonialism, and nationalism
Biography, Education and TrainingPh.D. University of Chicago
- A Discipline on Foot: Inventing Japanese Native Ethnology, 1910-1945, Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc. 2012
- Rethinking Japanese History, Center for Japanese Studies, University of Michigan, 2012
- "Primitive Communists and Profiteering Women: Propriety and Scandal in Okinawan Studies." Orientalism: From Postcolonial Theory to World History, E. Burke and D. Prochaska, eds. University of Nebraska Press (2006).
- "Colonialism and the Sciences of the Tropical Zone: The Academic Analysis of Difference in 'the Island Peoples,' by Tomiyama Ichiro (translation)." Positions: East Asia Cultures Critique, 3:2 (1995). Reissued in Formations of Colonial Modernity in Asia, T. Barlow, ed. Durham, N.C.: Duke University Press, 1997.
- "A Fantasy of Ancient Japan: The Assimilation of Okinawa in Yanagita Kunio's Kainan Shoki." Select Papers of the East Asia Center: Productions of Culture in Japan, no. 10, R. Adams, ed. Chicago: East Asia Center, University of Chicago, 1995.
- "The Making of Imperial Subjects in Okinawa." Positions: East Asia Cultures Critique 1:3 (1993). Reissued in Formations of Colonial Modernity in East Asia, T. Barlow, ed. Durham, N.C.: Duke University Press, 1997.
Courses TaughtHIS 40A, Early Modern East Asia
HIS 80Y, World War II Memories in the U.S. and Japan
HIS 150B, Tokugawa Japan
HIS 150C, Modern Japan
HIS 150D, The Japanese Empire
HIS 194Y, Memories of WWII in the U.S. and Japan
HIS 194X, History of Okinawa
HIS 243A, Modern Japanese Historiography
HIS 243B, Gender and Modern Japan
HIS 243C, Transnational Japan